Let’s talk winter. What’s your plan? Here are 10 top tips from the NHS to stay safe and well.
#LetsTalkWinter – Your Winter Plan Top 10
- Boost your immunity with your flu and Covid vaccines to protect yourself, your family and the people you love.
- Covid is still with us, so we should all carry on protecting ourselves and those around us. You can do this by testing regularly, meeting outside if you can, washing hands, letting in the fresh air when you’re inside and wearing a face covering in busy places.
- Get repeat prescriptions in plenty of time and have a well-stocked medicine cabinet, including a thermometer.
- Help and support friends or relatives to leave hospital so that they can be more comfortable and recover more quickly at home.
- Get help early before your condition worsens – speak to your GP surgery, contact NHS 111 or speak to your local pharmacist.
- Avoid slips, trips and falls by taking extra care in bad weather.
- Keep an eye on elderly or frail friends, neighbours and relatives.
- Try to heat your home effectively and safely. Heat your home to at least 18C. Take advantage of financial schemes and discounts to help you pay for heating.
- Be kind and compassionate to those you meet, including hard-working staff who are supporting others.
- Remember the five steps to wellbeing to stay well mentally and physically:
- Connect with others
- Be active as much as possible
- Keep learning new skills to boost confidence and mood
- Take notice and be in the present moment
- Give your time and support to others
More information can be found on the NHS website